The Nabertherm® muffle furnace (LVT 5/11) installed at Centro de Química da Madeira (CQM) is the latest procurement for the preparation of novel materials via heat treatment. This equipment is intended for research and has its main priority the activities/research within the scope of the Project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000005-CQM+ (Madeira 14-20 Program) and the INV2MAC Project (MAC2/4.6D/229) for the calcination, annealing, ashing, and thermal transformation of materials and as part of the research activities of CQM, to study the thermal treatment-based transformation of bulk materials and crystals into nanomaterials. In addition, the muffle furnace is open to external services (other public or private institutions), depending on the availability of the equipment and time.
Click here to submit samples.
The Nabertherm® muffle furnace equipment
The muffle furnace (LVT 5/11) is designed, especially for the process of thermal-based material transformation up to 1100°C in the laboratory. Applications include determining loss on ignition, ashing/calcination/annealing of materials for subsequent substance analysis. A special fresh-air and exhaust air system in the furnace ensures that the air is replaced 6 times per minute to ensure that sufficient oxygen is available for the material to undergo a thermal-based transformation process. Incoming air passes through the furnace heating mantle/area and is pre-heated to ensure good temperature uniformity.
Standard equipment details
- Tmax: 1100°C.
- Heating from two sides.
- Ceramic heating plates with integral heating element, which is safeguarded, and easy to replace.
- Air exchange of more than 6 times per minute.
- Good temperature uniformity due to pre-heating of the incoming air, temperature uniformity, according to DIN 17052-1 [Heat treatment furnace standard provided by Deutsches Institut für Normung E.V. (German National Standard)] to +/- 10°C in the defined empty work area (from 550°C).
- Suitable for many standardized temperature-based processes according to ISO (International Standard Organization), ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), EN (European standards), and DIN (German National Standards).
- Lift door to face hot surface away from the operator.
- Controller B410 (5 programs with each 4 segments).
Additional equipment details
- Over-temperature limiter with adjustable cutout temperature for thermal protection class 2 in accordance with EN 60519-2 (European standards) as temperature limiter to protect the furnace and load.
- Port for thermocouple in the rear wall.
NTEdit provided by Nabertherm®. Information is provided in the sample submission form.
Management of the equipment
Project Manager: João Rodrigues (PI)
Unit Manager: Jaison Jeevanandam (PhD)
Authorized Users: Jaison Jeevanandam (PhD) and Ivo Martins (M.Sc.)
- Responsible for equipment management, approval of analysis/reports/quotations, and consumables acquisition.
- Responsible for equipment operation.
- Responsible for equipment operation.
- Make quarterly reports on the operation of the unit. Send to the Unit Manager and supervisor.
- Responsible for the preparation of the equipment reservation/operation time according to the norms of operation of the center.
- Make recommendations to the unit manager about updating or purchasing material in order to ensure an efficient service.
- Responsible for time reservation of the equipment and services cost.
- Fill the sample registration form and the registration logbook in accordance with the Center's operating rules.
- In case of doubt or to request information, please contact us at .
Regulation of operation of the equipment
These guidelines are intended to guide the authorized users and applicants that use the CQM Muffle furnace equipment and, as such, must be followed by all. Otherwise, access to use the furnace will be denied.
- The right to use the equipment, complying with the established rules, in accordance with the terms approved by the Center.
- The operation of the furnace equipment is only authorized to the responsible researchers aforementioned.
- Only authorized users will be granted access to the furnace. In order to be authorized to use the equipment, everyone must first receive training, even if you are already familiar with the technique.
- The user is responsible for damages and/or malfunctions in the equipment that is affected by it, if not covered by the warranty and insurance.
- The user should keep the equipment in good working order.
- The user needs to provide the guarantees, when required, to safeguard the damages and/or faults in the equipment.
- The user should always register the analysis performed in the Logbook.
- The user should report any problem with the equipment or software in the Logbook and inform the Unit Manager as soon as possible.
- The applicants should submit an analysis request by filling online the sample registration form, as detailed as possible, to proceed with the temperature process in the furnace upon approval by the Unit Manager. Be advised that your supervisor must be informed of your muffle furnace registration in advance.
- Remember that your supervisor WILL ALWAYS PAY for the equipment operation time and possible damages.
- The final cost of each analysis considers maintenance costs, analysis type, total user time, and user type (academic or industrial). Additional costs may be necessary, as the applicant will be informed in advance and will be applied after its approval. For details about prices and charges applied, check our price table.
- If there is a reservation made you have to respect it, even if it is an emergency. Don't start the temperature-based process (Calcination/annealing) unless there is enough time to finish it before the next person. In the same manner, do not schedule an analysis just before your requirement, plan your time properly or wait for an opening of the slot. For more information and on time reservation, please contact us at .
- The samples in the furnace must be properly labeled and should be removed from the furnace after the completion of the analysis. Unlabeled samples will be disposed without prior notice to the user.
Muffle furnace services
Guidelines for sample preparation and features.
Click here to read the guidelines
The user fees mentioned in the table are intended to cover CQM muffle furnace expenses, including technical support and equipment maintenance. Minimum time request of 1-12 hours/session. After 12 hours, the session will be charged in blocks of 12 hours per session.
The services are classified by users and type of analysis. Choose the class that are best suited to your case or consult us at the address.
The price of services provided is divided into three classes, namely:
- CQM Research groups
- FCT National Centers and National Public Laboratories
- Companies and private Research Center
The list of prices for each classes has been tabulated below:
Total cost (€) (1-12 hours)/per session
Total cost (€) (13-24 hours)/per session
CQM research groups
FCT National centers and public national laboratories
Companies and private research centers
Scheduling muffle furnace
To access the muffle furnace service provided by CQM, follow the sample preparation guide and the regulation available in the link above. If you are not a member of CQM and would like to submit review of muffle furnace service, please contact us at .
Click here to submit samples.
The Principal Investigator and CQM acknowledges for the financial support ARDITI- Agência Regional para o Desenvolvimento da Investigação Tecnologia e Inovação, through the project M1420-01-0145-FEDER-000005-CQM+ (Madeira 14-20 Program).