About the course
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy is a ubiquitous technique throughout chemistry, physics, medicine and inter-lapping fields like nanotechnology and biochemistry. This technique takes advantage of the differences produced when a nuclei, exposed to a magnetic field, absorbs and then re-emits radiation in the radio frequency. This course will show the basics of 1D and 2D NMR as well as hands-on training with a Bruker Avance 400+ spectrometer.
• General Concepts
• Theoretical aspects of NMR spectroscopy
• NMR spectrometer
• Sample preparation and acquisition
• 1D processing
• 13C experiment and the Nuclear Overhouser effect (or other non-H).
• Introduction to 2D techniques and practical aspects.
CQM NMR technician and Ph.D. Candidate, João Figueira (MSc.), Madeira Chemistry Research Center, University of Madeira.
13-14th December 2012, University of Madeira (Penteada Campus). [Room 7 - level -2]
13th of December
09h30-11h00 - General concepts. [Room 7 - level -2]
11h15-12h30 - Theoretical aspects of NMR spectroscopy, 1H, 13C and NOE. [Room 7 - level -2]
14h00-15h30 - Practical session, sample preparation NMR spectrometer, sample preparation. [NMR Room 0.95 - level 0]
15h45-17h30 - Practical session, sample preparation, TOPSPIN hands-on, 1H experiment. [NMR Room 0.95 - level 0]
14th of December
09h30-11h00 - NMR spectrometer, sample preparation, 1H, 13C and NOE. [Room 7 - level -2]
11h15-12h30 - Introduction to 2D experiments. [Room 7 - level -2]
14h00-15h30 - Non-H nuclei experiments and data processing. [NMR Room 0.95 - level 0]
15h45-17h30 - 2D experiments, general application. [NMR Room 0.95 - level 0]
Registration is compulsory and is available here until the 2nd December. Only applications performed between the 26th November and the 2nd December 2012 will be considered.
Preliminary participants list: 3rd December 2012.
Payment: from 3rd to 10th October 2012 (until 12h30), via wire transfer.
• CQM Members enrolled in the 1st Cycle in Biochemistry; the 2nd Cycle (Master students) in Applied Biochemistry, Nanochemistry and Nanomaterials; 3rd Cycle (Ph.D. Students) – free of charge.
• Non-CQM Members enrolled in the 1st Cycle in Biochemistry; the 2nd Cycle (Master students) in Applied Biochemistry, Nanochemistry and Nanomaterials; 3rd Cycle (Ph.D. Students) – 25€.
• Other students and researchears of UMa* – 50€.
• Fromer UMa students (5 year old or less degree) – 80€.
• External participants – 100€.
*UMa students with a student union card (AAUMa – Associação Académica da UMa) with a valid union card are entitled to a 50% discount (25€) on the registration.
10 participants (min.) / 15 participants (max.).
The candidates will be sorted sequentially taking into account the following criteria: a. Members of the Madeira Chemistry Research Center (PhD, masters, students of the 1st cycle of Biochemistry and graduates); b. Frequency of the 2nd cycle in Applied Biochemistry; c. Frequency of the 1st cycle in biochemistry; d. Other students UMa; e. External candidate.